Your Journey to Excellence Starts with Your Ideal Year of Scouting (IYOS)
The units that plan, promote and execute their Ideal Year of Scouting, offer unparalleled experiences for more youth, and are recognized in the Journey to Excellence program.
It's a method of planning, for your unit to do all the Scouting programs and activities you would like to do, with little or no cost to your families. The Ideal
Year of Scouting Planning Guides
are an important tool in this planning process and it helps unit leaders develop their plan for delivering a quality Scouting program to the youth in Mid-America Council.
What are the components of the Ideal Year of Scouting Process? What's in it for your Unit? Click on the "Read more" to learn how planning your ideal year, can help your leaders and Scouts, stay in Scouting. Read More
Journey to Excellence Recognition Program
The Journey to Excellence (JTE) is the tool we've adopted to measure the quality of the Scouting program in our Council. A unit that plans their Ideal Year of Scouting, based on goals and standards set forth in the Journey to Excellence program can be confident they're delivering a quality program, supported by a healthy unit with trained leaders.
|Journey to Excellence Communication Plan
The JTE is a set of criteria, or a checklist, that your unit uses to plan the Ideal Year of Scouting.
- As leaders in the Mid-America Council it is important to promote IYOS as a plan which assists all units in achieving their JTE goals.
- The JTE is tested and it works - keeping kids in Scouting longer, thus keeping parents involved longer, which means less work for you!
- Using this planning mechanism, the unit will save money, so they don't have to ask the parents for it! The less money that parents have to spend out of their pocket, the better.
- We all need to live and breathe the JTE. It makes Scouting stronger.
- Every time we are working on a Scouting project, activity, meeting, etc. we need to think back about how it relates to the JTE.
- This is important. We want you on board and we want you to be dedicated to The Journey as much as we are. You are an essential part of the council and can help us have the strongest Scouting program ever!
- This isn't the first time the Mid-America Council has participated in a program like this. We've been working in a similar structure for the last five years (The Great Expectation).
- We invented the program and BSA National picked it up.
- It makes sense that during the five years that we were participating in this program, we were recognized as the #1 council in the nation.
- You will be hearing and seeing more about The Journey to Excellence in the coming weeks and months.
- The Ideal Year of Scouting will frequently be mentioned alongside The Journey to Excellence, and this is why: the Ideal Year of Scouting is the method to achieve the goal. The Ideal Year of Scouting is planning and The Journey to Excellence is implementing.