The Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone
designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to do the following:
- Read and understand woods tools use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.
- Demonstrate proper handling, care, and use of the pocket knife, ax, and saw.
- Use knife, ax, and saw as tools, not playthings.
- Respect all safety rules to protect others.
- Respect property. Cut living and dead trees only with permission and good reason.
- Subscribe to the Outdoor Code.
The Scout's "Totin' Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility.
This is a very important wallet card to have onhand at all times when camping.
There is a wallet card and patch available.
Scouts who earn the Totin' Chip are encouraged to then earn the Paul
Bunyan Woodsman, which is an application of the skills
learned in Totin' Chip.
Contact the Durham Scout Center for more information at 402.431.9BSA (9272).